Thursday, August 28, 2014

Spin, Sample, Swatch, Block

Last Saturday on the way to the Anything Fiber Sale, I stopped at my friend Nora's house.  She had recently re-organized her fiber space and gave me a tour.  Lovely with much fibery goodness.  Nora graciously allowed me to buy 3 pounds of a beautiful cranberry colored merino.


See those three beautiful bumps of fiber, that's it.
 
 
Spinning samples and using Nancy's Spinning Kards
I really like these cards, They give me a compact way to organize information about the yarn.

 
Measuring my angle of twist.  I wanted a dk weight with a greater than 30 degree angle and got it with this two ply.  It is 16 wraps per inch.

 
I spun 23 grams of fiber and got 64 yards.

 
I knitted a large swatch on size 7 needles.  My swatch is usually quite dinky but I really need for this to drape well so needed a larger swatch.  The swatch was washed and pinned out on a blocking square.


 
Measuring for gauge.  I got 20 stitches in stockinette switch.
 Which is just what this pattern requires.


 

No comments: